Monday, December 29, 2008

Bandon 5

A very 'Irish' affair this, in mid-Cork. Registration in the local pub. A trek around the town bypass to a starting line that seemed to be decided as much by consensus as anything. Then turn around and run around a loop to arrive somehow back at the pub. The organisers were pleased with the turnout of 163, which was 18% up on last year.

After a fairly ordinary run at Athenry I was well pleased with this one. Early on I tagged on to a local guy, a better runner than me (who isn't?) Though I normally dislike running alongside others this actually worked as, after a trot through downtown Bandon, we worked together on mile 3 which consisted of a long uphill drag. Then when I might otherwise have dropped my pace I kept up with this guy until I found a bit extra with 200 yards to go and kicked to finish in 40.22. 40.02 actually on the official results for 123rd overall - well pleased. And I just pipped my good friend Deirdre who had set off with the walkers 40 minutes earlier!

And then some great hospitality at the pub - food, drink etc. Eventually the presentations and no end of spot prizes - I ended up with twin bottles of Chilean wine.

A great afternoon - well done everyone concerned.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

See you are still running well.

Where are you working in Dublin

All the Best

JM

RoyMcC said...

As well as I can reasonably expect with having not the slightest talent for it Liam!

Irish Red Cross in Merrion Squae.