Friday, March 6, 2009

Bright New Day

There was something very beautiful about this rough oul city this morning. I've been able to leave behind my reflective bib as dawn is now kissing the docklands as I set off. There's an attractive stillness in the half-light over Grand Canal Dock, Ringsend and Sean Moore Park. On the trip back upriver I see that the good ship Cill Airne, moored along the north quay, is once more open for business as a bar/restaurant. Good luck to them in the present climate.

And, though I've seen advertising signs for it, it's the very first time I've seen the Liffey Ferry in action this morning - a little covered-in vessel chugging its way over from Macken Street. Right by where the Samuel Beckett Bridge is being constructed. That'll be (I think) the 16th bridge over the Liffey from Heuston Station in the west of the city to the East Link. The ferry business is not one to be considering putting your redundancy money into right now.

And it's a truly lovely scene as I pass over the Sean O'Casey bridge back to my apartment. The rising sun is blazing low in the east off the Irish Sea straight downriver. Several photographers are trying to do the moment justice, with some fancy filters necessary I think. (The Roma beggar setting out his stall for the day of course welcomes any activity that might result in a few coins coming his way).

And at the end of it I've done my second week of 6 days consecutive running - unusual for me. I'm tired and now officially 'on taper' for the Connemara Half Marathon on 22 March.

No comments: