Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Checking out the roads

The best part of 11 miles on Sunday, following the outer ring road. Heading anti-clockwise I avoided the deathtrap for pedestrians that is Grattan Quay/Bilberry Road and instead climbed up to Ballybricken Green and out along Gracedieu Road, turning left along Knockhouse Road. As this road doesn't go anywhere much it was quiet and by far the nicest part of my run.

But soon enough you have to come out onto the Old Kilmeaden Road and then turn east along the outer ring. This is effectively the city bypass with frequent roundabouts at which you can either turn in towards town or turn right and head off to Tramore and points beyond. Although primarily a fast dual carriageway to hurry along the traffic it is good to see that ample provision has been made along its length for walkers, runners, cyclists etc. A good, wide surface with plenty of separation from the traffic.

Not my best run ever but I plodded on steadily until I hit the Dunmore Road which, hanging a left, took me back to town in just shy of two hours - my first Waterford LSR.

This morning we had rain for the first time in weeks, and plenty of it. I decided on a four-miler but stepping up the pace on miles two and four. This time I headed straight up the busy Cork Road, past Waterford Crystal and WIT. Actually not too bad for running though you need to be careful at the many road junctions. My Garmin showed my 'tempo' miles at 9.16 and 8.49 which, recalling how I struggled to hold back my cruising pace to 8.45 at Connemara in the spring, just shows how much I need to work on speed.

No comments: