Sunday, October 18, 2009

Cobwebs

That blew the cobwebs away. Waterford dawned rather chillier and damper than of late. I plodded up through the old town, Lady Lane and Patrick Street to Ballybricken Green, scene of last night's revelries. On along Gracedieu Road and left onto Knockhouse Road, climbing gradually all the time. John Rawling on Fighting Talk in unbeatable form as usual - it's no contest when this bloke is on and he actually seems to enjoy the winning whereas most of the panellists are just happy with the knockabout of the show.

Onto the Outer Ring which is now becoming familiar. The early climbs have sorted out a little leg stiffness left over from the fast tready sessions earlier in the week. If I was in specific training mode I'd probably slip in some faster miles but today I remain in lazy mode and I'm happy enough just to progress along well within my comfort zone. Waterford is a quiet place of a Sunday and even along the dual carriageway it's a peaceful run. As I'm comfortable I decide to put in an extra few miles. Turning right I run towards Knockboy Village. I remember years ago that the properties down this way were new, bleak and somewhat isolated from Waterford proper. They now form a rather select suburb well served by new roads. A left at the village school and a nice drop down to the Dunmore Road with the river forming a pretty backdrop. Finally turning towards town and past Ardkeen and the Hospital into familiar territory. By now there are race marshals everywhere - there's apparently a Race For Life on today though I've not noticed any build up to it.

Back home in 2:18 and 13.4 miles for 25.2 miles on the week. And 860.9 for the year so far. This leaves me still on target for 1,000 miles for 2009. There is a mega-thread on Boards.ie where people are logging their miles up to 1,000. Bazman completed his 1,000 on 29th March and is probably on his fourth 1,000 by now. A further 33 runners have also reached this mark and currently I am in 40th place.

No comments: