Monday, October 27, 2008

October Bank Holiday Monday can only mean the Dublin Marathon. So up at the crack of dawn (in fact an hour earlier as I had assumed my mobile alarm knew about the hour change) to volunteer for duty. Received a nice hat and jacket - also a volunteer medal. This latter was certainly not wanted by me but I managed to find a good home for it a little later.

So, crowd control at the junction of Merrion Square and Holles Street. Chilly but otherwise good running conditions and a record entry of just under 12,000. More than a twinge of envy as they all stream through, followed by the family race. Then helping with the big clean-up of the start area. Some great clothing was discarded, he best of which goes to the homeless.

Then over to the finish to just miss Ukrainian Andriy Naumov cross the line first in 2:11.6. They seem to have plenty of volunteers around the finish area so I walk back along the course to clap the incoming runners. My work colleague Grainne has started, but she says her training has consisted of a taper, but with no training beforehand. I thoroughly enjoy seeing everybody come through but we really are down to the last few, 7hrs 10min with still two miles to go, when I assume Grainne has dropped out.

A very well organised race. Surprised that iPods are allowed and somewhat annoyed at some accompanying pacing bikes. Very discourteous to other runners. I'm also disappointed that the crowd support is not great - nothing like Cork.

No comments: